Monday, September 20, 2010

Baku's Luxury Spa Treatment: Mud Volcanos


The Landscape
I must admit I had no idea what to expect.  People had told me about the mud volcanoes of Azerbaijan, a geologic phenomenon unique to the desert region around Baku.  Apparently there are 700 mud volcanoes in the world; 300 of them are in Azerbaijan.

Caused by the same geology that allows for the oil the has funded Baku's economy for the past 100 years, the mud volcanoes gurgle, spew, glop up a messy muddy, sandy, oily goo.  Some are really small, and some much larger - with multiple cavities, ranging from the size of an apricot to small ponds.    They spew up gas, and mud. The ground around them is slick and sandy as well as really gooey and mucky.  Easy to end up on your rear end or lose a shoe, something that thankfully did not happen to me this time.

Mt. St Helens of Mud
Surprisingly they are not hot or smelly.  This is apparently unique to the ones in Azerbaijan, the mud is cool and slick to the touch.  Sort of the like the mud of a good Calistoga(Napa Valley) mud wrap, but without the smell.  Now I would like to say I jumped right in and had a soak, but I was a bit of wimp.  I did stick my finger in and smeared mud on my arm to test the "healing" powers.    Not sure my arm is better, but my headache went away.
Mud lava 

No comments:

Post a Comment